Headlights improve driving conditions at night, boosting road safety, and enhancing visibility particularly in extreme weather conditions. If you’re a car owner then you know how important it is to choose the right headlights for your vehicle!
More and more carmakers are moving away from traditional halogen and xenon headlights, replacing them with more advanced, and energy efficient alternatives like LED headlights. And why not? LED headlights’ light quality is comparable to HIDs and halogen headlights but they are far superior in terms of energy efficiency, lifespan, and durability.
But the question is, should you switch to LEDs? What benefits can you expect from LED bulbs that you cannot get from other headlights? Let’s find out:
Halogen headlights waste about 80% of the energy they consume. That’s because the bulb converts a measly 20% of the energy it consumes into light, the rest – which is 80% – is converted into heat. Imagine the amount of energy you’re wasting every time you use halogen headlights. Apart from being prone to damage due to exposure to high heat, halogen headlights put a lot of strain on your car battery, which may possibly lead to battery discharge and costly repairs.
An average LED bulb converts 90% of the energy it consumes, maximizing electricity to provide light without generating heat. One LED light will only use up 65 kilowatt-hours of electricity in a year, which is a far cry from the 525 kilowatt-hours of power that halogen and HID headlights use in a year!
Although LEDs do not emit brighter light than halogens, the beam of light emitted is more directional. This means the light can be focused on certain directions, enhancing road safety at nighttime and providing impressive clarity.
Regular halogen and HIDs emit omnidirectional light, which means the light is spread in all directions. Since you can’t focus the light, it’ll be harder to see what lies ahead on the road while driving. LEDs are more responsive than halogen headlights because they do not require warm up at all. Unlike halogen headlights that need a second or two to warm up before reaching full illumination, LEDs will reach full light the second you turn them on!
When it comes to durability and longevity, nothing beats LEDs. Because LEDs do not come with tungsten filaments that expose the inner components to high heat, the bulbs are able to withstand shock, vibration, and extreme weather conditions with ease. LEDs have a lifespan of 10 to 11 years while halogen has a lifespan of 2 to 4 months.
LED lights stay nice and cool to the touch even when used for an extended period because they generate little heat. According to tests, LED headlights produce about 3.4 British Thermal Units (BTU) of heat per hour. On the other hand, halogen headlights produce about 80 BTUs so the difference is significant as far as heat generation goes between LEDs and traditional incandescent lights.
Sure, LED kits are more expensive than halogen or HID headlights but LEDs require minimal maintenance. They last longer, they are more energy efficient, and they put less strain on your car battery. To sum all that up, LEDs will pay for itself in the long run, allowing you to save more cash on professional repairs, headlight maintenance, and replacement.